Tuesday, September 23, 2008

my poor, beautiful glasses


anyone who's known me for more than a few months has probably come to realize that delicate things don't do well with me. though i love them and try to be gentle with them, they always wind up broken or dilapidated long before their life expectancy would dictate. this is especially true of things i use regularly (clothes, shoes, books...computers). i'm the only person i know with a macbook pro that has dents in it and whose hardware innards seem to be trying to push themselves out of the lower left corner.

i'm beginning to see the effects of my (unintentional) brutality on one of my favorite wedding presents; my beautiful glasses. it seriously broke my heart when i shattered the first one a month or so ago, but today was even worse. it was the last dish i washed, and as i swirled the water around inside of it to rinse the soap out, my hand suddenly forgot that it was supposed to be holding onto the glass and just decided to let go mid swirl. the glass went flying into the right side sink where it shattered and a million glass shards flew all over the kitchen. it was certainly the most dramatic demise of a glass that i've ever experienced. i had to throw away a plate of cookies that was near the sink for fear of glass shards in the stomach, internal bleeding etc. so of my eight glasses, two are broken, one is chipped, and one has a tiny crack down the side that i assume came from something heavy laid on top of it in the dish drying rack thing. i wonder if i would break things less if we had a dishwasher.

at least the flatware is durable.

1 comment:

Alisha Stamper said...

hi darling dear! i gave you an award on my blog today.