Sunday, September 21, 2008

the bike of my dreams will soon be the bike of my real life!

see that beauty up there? that is the gary fisher simple city 3 women's. that is the bike i've been coveting for months and months. that is the bike that my birthday bike fund was for. that is the bike that's back-ordered (in my size) through the end of january. that is the bike that, thanks to my incessant weekly (sometimes more frequent than that) calls to all the local bike shops to check on the availability dates, will be mine within the next seven days!

after being shot down by racer's who said they couldn't get it until january (even though my name is third on their list), i made a routine call to mad dog's on friday to see if they could tell me any different. and they could; september 29th! i made a note in my planner to call on the 26th, and ten minutes later they were calling me back. the employee (who must have been new because i'd never talked to her before) said that the owner would be able to special order it for me and it would be there within the week.

i was flabbergasted.

how could that be possible? why are so many people suffering through the waiting pain when some store owner can just make a call and have the bike within a week? i don't know where the logic in bike production is. maybe there's some big secret i just wouldn't understand. maybe they just wanted me to stop calling them and by a week they really meant four months.

when i went into the store to order it, i questioned the owner. would it really seriously be here in a week? he seemed confident.

as i was checking out, he said to me "you've called on this bike quite a few times, haven't you."
i may have blushed slightly and laughed a guilty laugh.


persistence pays!

No comments: